We are pleased to announce the 2019 Impact Summit Everybody Counts: Strengthening the Roots of Democracy to be held October 10 & 11 in Denver, Colorado (USA).
How a society defines its goals and measures directly affects the well-being of its residents. Engaging community members in the task of defining and measuring progress strengthens their democratic capacity. For communities, broad participation in counts and surveys at a time when trust in institutions is low is a way to exercise democratic rights. Consistent access to accurate data at the appropriate scale is vital for community indicators to change minds and drive action. Accurate counts or surveys are necessary to give a political, social or economic voice to everyone.
The 2019 Impact Summit will look at what is done in the US, Canada, Australia and elsewhere in the world at the local or regional scale to:
- Encourage people’s participation in data collection efforts, from local surveys to national counts, and insure that everyone is counted
- Collect and share more detailed, disaggregated, in-depth information on groups that have historically been left out by traditional surveys and other data-gathering tools
- Support access to accurate and fair data
- Improve transparency and build trust in science and information
- Shape the presentation and dissemination of data to make it accessible and actionable
- Use data to change minds, reduce inequities, improve community well-being and strengthen democracy
Measure: New or innovative indicators or indices; methods or technology to survey and collect data and assure data accuracy and consistency; approaches to reach hard-to-count populations or to collect more detailed, disaggregated information on groups that have historically been left out by traditional surveys and other data-gathering tools.
Communicate: Effective reporting methods using a variety of media, innovative visualization and storytelling to translate knowledge and change minds.
Connect: Promising or demonstrated approaches for collaborations with and among the public, decision-makers, or other stakeholders, e.g., innovative partnerships, public outreach models, participatory approaches to governance.
Impact: Practices or models based on sound evidence for moving from data to action; initiatives that used indicators to improve resilience, wellbeing and democracy in local or regional communities.
Maintain: Tools and practices that build internal organizational resilience and financial sustainability necessary to make an impact on the community.
Located downtown Denver, just 2 blocks from the famous 16th Street Mall, the Curtis Hotel is a uniquely fun Denver boutique hotel with vibrant art work and themed rooms.
|Mar. 11||Call for Proposals Opens|
|May 3||Call for Proposals Closes|
|May 3 – June 25||Early Registration|
|Jun. 26||Regular Registration Opens|
|Oct. 9||Workshops and Training (Denver)|
|Oct. 10||2019 Impact Summit Opens|
|Oct. 11||2019 Impact Summit Closes|